Burning beeswax candles:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Keep candles away from children and pets.
- Keep candles away from flammable materials.
- Remove paper label from candle before burning.
- Burn candles in a draft-free environment away from open windows, air ducts, etc. This will help to prevent any dripping or smoking.
- Light the wick from the base of the wick, where the wick comes out of the candle, to allow the beeswax to absorb into the wick. A long lighter works well for this.
- Keep the wick trimmed to 1/4" (with the exception of tapers). Proper trimming ensures that your beeswax candle will burn with a strong, bright flame. This helps prevent the candle from dripping. Be careful not to trim the wick too short as that may make it difficult to relight.
- Burning a 3 inch wide pillar requires a bit of a commitment. The first time you burn one of these, you should keep it burning until the melted wax pool is within 1/4 inch of the candle wall - this will take about 4 hours (but can take up to 5 hours). Subsequent burns should be for at least 3 hours (one hour for every inch of width). Keep wick trimmed to 1/4".